Questions should be directed to Cleveland Clinic Laboratories’ billing department
from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m, Monday through Friday EST.
Local: 216.448.5014 Toll Free: 800.204.6741 Fax: 216.444.8141
Cleveland Clinic Laboratories Federal Tax Identification Number is 34-0714585.
Cleveland Clinic’s DUNS number is 017730458.
- Clients will receive a monthly itemized invoice that is sent within the first week of every month. Excel or PDF formats can be provided upon the client’s request.
- All invoices will include the patient’s name, date of service, referring physician, test(s) performed, CPT code, accession number, test code, and the test price, and purchase order numbers (if provided).
- Cleveland Clinic Laboratories requires notifications, changes, or errors be reported within 30 days of the invoice date. Any requests received after 30 days will not be processed.
- Payment terms are net 30 days.
- At the client’s request, Cleveland Clinic Laboratories will submit claims for payment to government, private, or individual payers for those services or items that are medically necessary and appropriate.
- All Medicare plans are accepted as well third party commercial insurers contracted with Cleveland Clinic Laboratories.
- All third party insurances not contracted with Cleveland Clinic Laboratories will be billed back to the client. Please note: only State of Ohio Medicaid plans can be billed by Cleveland Clinic Laboratories.
- Medicare requires all providers who order or refer items for their beneficiaries to be enrolled in the Medicare program.
- To ensure claims are submitted to the appropriate payer, please be sure to provide updated insurance information for your patients. Incorrect or lack of information about a patient, their diagnosis, and insurance are some of the leading causes of lost or delayed reimbursement.
- An appropriate ICD-10 diagnosis (numeric only) code is required for each test ordered.
- Please provide a copy (front and back) of the patient’s insurance card with the Test Request Form. If the required information is incomplete, the client will be required to assume responsibility and will be client billed for all services and items.
- Patients are responsible for annual deductibles, co-payments, and any balance not covered by their insurance company. We accept assignment on Medicare and Ohio Medicaid billing.
- All information must be provided as outlined on the Test Request Form. If the required information is incomplete, the client will be required to assume responsibility and will be billed for
- Please advise your patients that they will receive a bill for laboratory services from Cleveland Clinic Laboratories; they are solely responsible for these charges, and payment is due upon receipt of their bill. VISA® and MasterCard® are acceptable forms of payment.
- You may also direct your patients to our new iLabbill patient portal. This feature allows patients to make secure payments in the convenience of their own home.
CPT Codes are provided in the Test Directory as a convenience to our clients as guidance to assist in billing. Since CPT codes are subject to change at any time, it is the responsibility of the client to verify their accuracy for the test(s) performed.
For tests that involve several component tests, the Test Directory attempts to provide a comprehensive list of CPT codes for all of the possible components of the test; however, only a subset of component tests may be performed on your specimen.
All clients should verify accuracy of codes listed.
When multiple codes are listed, select the codes for tests actually performed on the specimen. Clients are encouraged to consult the CPT Coding Manual published by the American Medical Association and to address questions regarding the use of any particular code to their local Medicare carrier.
Cleveland Clinic Laboratories does not assume responsibility for billing errors due to reliance on CPT codes listed in the Test Directory.
Credit and Collections
- Cleveland Clinic Reference Laboratory reserves the right to review credit reports from reporting agencies such as Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian.
- All invoices are due in full upon receipt and must be paid within 30 days from the date billed.
- All claims, requests for adjustments, or notification of errors must be made within 30 days of the invoice date or charges are considered to be accepted.
- Charges unpaid after 90 days are subject to collection. The purchaser will assume all collection expenses, attorney fees, and court costs.
Fees are subject to change without notification. Information on specific client fees is available by calling Cleveland Clinic Laboratories Client Services at 800.628.6816 or by emailing ClientServices@ccf.org.
Advance Beneficiary Notice
The ordering physician is solely responsible for ensuring that any lab procedures requested are medically necessary by federal guidelines. A completed ABN form signed by the patient must accompany the specimen for any test expected to be denied by Medicare in order to bill Medicare directly.
For additional information, please contact Cleveland Clinic Laboratories’ Client Services at 800.628.6816.