Primary Supply Update – eSwab
What is eSwab?
The eSwab system from Copan Diagnostics is a liquid-based multi-purpose collection and transport system that maintains viability of aerobic, anaerobic, and fastidious bacteria. The eSwab system consists of a flocked swab and a screw-capped transport tube containing 1 mL of liquid Amies medium.
Why use eSwab?
eSwab collects and releases more specimen, improving the recovery of pathogens. The eSwab system generates 1 mL of patient sample, providing a uniform sample for culture and reducing the need to collect multiple swabs.
When should I use eSwab?
eSwab may be used instead of a traditional dual swab in Amies or Stuart transport medium for the following tests:
*Tissue or fluid is preferred over a swab for anaerobe, wound, and fungal cultures whenever possible.
How to Use eSwab
1. Put on gloves.
2. For wounds, prepare the collection site by debriding and/or rinsing with non-bacteriostatic saline as needed.
3. Open the peel pouch.
4. Remove the tube and label with two patient identifiers.
5. Remove the swab – to prevent contamination, avoid touching the shaft above the pink molded breakpoint.
6. Collect the patient sample with the swab.
7. Remove the cap from the tube and insert the swab all the way to the bottom.
8. Holding the swab close to the rim of the tube, break the shaft at the pink breakpoint line while keeping the tube away from your face.
9. Screw on the cap tightly to prevent leaking.
10. Dispose of the remainder of the shaft.
11. Place tube in a specimen biohazard bag and place requisition in the side pouch.
12. Transport to the lab promptly at room temperature.
Comments are closed