LAWSON: Universal Transport Media (UTM) 3 mL – Mini-tip Flocked SwabEmail to a friend
Lawson Code: 288576
Please note: this item must be ordered through Lawson.
UTM with a flexible, mini-tip flocked swab is used for the collection and transportation of nasopharyngeal specimens.
Universal Transport Media (UTM) is shelf-stable for up to one year and can be stored at ambient temperature rather than refrigerated; however, once the specimen is inoculated, it must be refrigerated.
Included in this kit is the following:
– (1) mini-tip flocked collection swab
– (1) Universal Transport Media specimen transport tube
This container is required for:
• Influenza AB / RSV PCR (FLRSV, FLUPCR, RSPCR)
• Respiratory Viral Panel by PCR (RVPPCR, RVPAN)
• Bordetella pertussis NAAT (BORAMP)
Nasopharyngeal collection instructions:
1. Measure the distance from the patient’s nostril to the nasopharynx (half the distance from nostril to base of the ear) and hold the swab at that location. Do not advance the swab beyond that point.
2. Gently insert the swab along the base of one nostril (straight back, not upwards) and continue along the floor of the nasal passage until reaching the nasopharynx. Resistance will be met.
3. Rotate swab 2-3 times and hold in place for 5 seconds.
4. Remove swab from patient and insert into UTM tube.
Transport at 2 – 8°C.
Questions? Need Assistance?
Please contact Client Services by calling 800.628.6816 or by emailing ClientServices@ccf.org.